[CALUG] Linux Friendly Laptops

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Wed Nov 1 18:43:54 CST 2006

Anything that says Intel Centrino Mobile has an IPW2200 in it, as does
the IBM ThinkPad T42, which I used at my last job. And altho Broadcom
cards have been tradionally unsupported, people have recently written one.

I would burn a copy of Knoppix, and boot that in anything you are
considering buying.

As mentioned by others, (K)Ubuntu or SuSE tend to have better wireless
support than most.

Several distributions have a "rescue" mode, and some of them will offer
to start the network interfaces. If you can get an address via DHCP then
you can load a working system.

Finally, if you want to cheat, you can do what I do with my desktop
systems at home. I buy "gaming routers", which have an ethernet and a
wireless card in them. A bit unwieldy for a laptop, but it gets you
connected.

JIM