[CALUG] Linux Friendly Laptops

Assad Khan assadk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 00:53:27 CST 2006

Just a few days ago I bought an HP Pavilion dv6174cl. It's a very nice
Core 2 Duo laptop with an Intel 3945ABG chipset. So far it's worked
without problems in Ubuntu Edgy (though you need to install Network
Manager to get wireless working, which for some reason was installed by
default in Dapper but not in Edgy...). Everything else works great out
of the box.

HP is one of the major Linux supporters, and Intel makes some of the
best supported hardware on any operating system. I've only had the
laptop for a few days, but if you're in the market for a 15.4" laptop, I
highly recommend the dv6174cl, and at Costco I was able to get it for $1149.

-Assad