[CALUG] Postfix help

Keith pdragon at pdragon.net
Mon Nov 6 14:31:21 CST 2006

On 11/6/06, Scott Kitterman <sklist at kitterman.com> wrote:

> On Monday 06 November 2006 14:11, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
>
> > Keith wrote:
> > >Was wondering if someone that's had experience setting up Postfix on
> > > Debian would mind helping me out. This is my first try and setting up
> ANY
> > > mail server. Main problem I'm having is getting postfix to use Maildir
> > > (instead of mbox) so I can use courier-pop to allow POP3 access. I'm
> > > using O'Reilly's "Postfix: The Definitive Guide" as reference and I've
> > > also been checking around on the web. As far as I can tell I've
> > > configured Postfix properly, but it continues to use the mbox format
> and
> > > I'm unable to check for new mail via POP (nothing shows up because
> it's
> > > not being put in the user's maildir directory). Postfix is working
> > > properly otherwise as far as I can tell. I can send and receive email
> > > using the old "mail" command-line program.
> > >
> > >I know I can use other POP programs besides Courier that use the mbox
> > > format instead (format doesn't really matter to me). But the fact that
> > > can't get this working is bugging me and I want to know why it's not
> > > working before moving on to using something else.
> > >
> > >If someone's available on AIM/ICQ to help me out, that might be easier.
> > >Thanks in advance!
>
> > I am not a Postfix expert, but sendmail calls the programs that takke a
> > message and actually write the mailbox a "Mail Delivery Agent" or a
> > "Local Mailer". Perhaps if you look for these terms in the documentation
> > you will find what you are looking for. In any case, the program that
> > does the delivery is probably an absolute program, so you can probably
> > grep for "/" in the configuration files and look for programs. That
> > might not help if you find something like "/bin/mail" or
> > "/usrbin/rmail", but you might try looking for the label that these
> > values are attached to.
> >
> > You may have to use a MDA from the courier package.
>
> Postfix can perform basic MDA functions, including, IIRC, delivery to
> maildir.
> Myself, I had a LOT more luck with "The Book of Postfix" than with
> Postfix:
> The Definitive Guide.  That's the first Oreilly book that's ever
> disappointed
> me.
>
> If you look at man local under mailbox delivery, it says that adding a '/'
> at
> the end of the mail box path tells it to deliver using maildir.
>
> Scott K

I've got the trailing '/' on my mailbox delivery parameters.  I showed my
entire main.cf to someone else that responded and it looks like my
mailbox_command parameter was pointing it to procmail. I'm checking my
procmail configuration now. Didn't even realize it was doing that. Was setup
like that by default.

Thanks all!

Keith