[CALUG] Linux Friendly Laptops

Bob Overberg R.Overberg at ieee.org
Sat Mar 18 10:10:04 CST 2006

There's an excellent FAQ on NTFS Resize (complete with the minimum
ntfsresize version number you want to use and how that maps to
various distributions)
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

I used a KNOPPIX Live CD and successfully resized an NTFS partition a
few weeks ago. I used the Win2k defrag tool before shutting down and
booting Knoppix. The few "unmovable" sectors in the middle of the
partition must have been session-allocated swap, because Knoppix
(running GUI front-end QTParted) had no problem shrinking the NTFS
partition well beyond their location in the middle of the disk.

After QTParted was done and committed to disk, I rebooted Win2k.
It complained about needing to fsck, but beyond that, there were
absolutely no problems upon subsequent reboots.

hope this helps.

Bob O.