[CALUG] [UM-LINUX] routers and Adelphia NOT! Verizon (fwd)

Kelly Price strredwolf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 14:09:20 CST 2006

On 3/14/06, Russ <rmain at polaris.umuc.edu> wrote:
> After several months of waiting for Verizon to be ready for FIOS or even
> DSL in my Frederick (YEE HAW!) neighborhood, I reluctantly gave up and
> signed up for cable through Adelphia.  I'm wondering if anyone has any
> advice on a cable/router box.  I'm planning on using a Linksys WCG200.
> It has a cable input, 4 10/100's, 1 USB, and a wireless.  This seems
> better than purchasing a cable modem separately.  120 total at newegg.
> I plan on having a home network with a laptop, and desktops(maybe a
> server).

I wouldn't.  Adelphia will no doubtedly supply you with a tested cable
modem, and have it already set up on their end.  Plus, if the
modem/router combo box breaks any function, you have to replace all of
it.  If it were up to me, I'd rent the modem and buy a Linksys
WRT-54GL (4 Ethernet, Wireless, upstream to the modem and runs Linux
itself) that can be reused when you change providers

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://strredwolf.furrynet.com