[CALUG] Upgrading from RH 7.3

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Mon Feb 13 19:04:54 CST 2006

First, you have to choose which OS you want to run. If you want "the
latest RedHat" you have essentially two chooices:

[1] Fedora Core 4
[2] CentOS 4.2, which is an unbranded version of Red Hat Enterprise
Linux. In theory you can also go with "White Box Linux", but their
distribution/update servers are MUCH slower.

I do my downloading with DAP (www.speedbit.com) under Windows, as well
as my burning too. I only burn the first CD, and tell Linux to load from
disk. In the RedHat world, you have to say "linux askmethod" at the
"boot:" prompt, then later specify the disk and directory that contains
the ISO images. I use Comcast cable, and a full 4 set CD takes an hour
or so.

When you boot the first CD, you can boot in Rescue Mode, mount your old
partition, and do the following:

	$ mount /dev/hdxx /mnt
	$ cd /mnt
	$ mkdir OLD
	$ mv .??* * OLD

You will get a complaing about not being able to move OLD to itself, but
that's to be expexted. Then, when you do the install, simply choose not
to format the partition.

Of course, while I am against splitting a system up across partitions
(/, /boot, /usr/, /var, etc), I don't mind chopping up a disk into
several partitions and running multiple versions of linux (or M$, or
BSD) in each one. In fact, both of my two internal drives have the full
complement of 16 partitions each!

JIM