[CALUG] Epson 740i printer

Kelly Price strredwolf at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 18:32:09 CDT 2005

On 9/25/05, Bart Nielsen <blniels at softhome.net> wrote:
> Folks,
>
>         I've had two epson 740i ink jet printers since 1999, and I've never
> really worried about what sort of ink cartridges I use.  I recently
> bought some new cartridges for my printer that aren't from Epson
> directly, but claim to be "compatible".  (Okay, I went to ebay and
> bought the lowest priced cartridges I could find --- $0.49 each, plus
> shipping and handling, which brought them up more than I expected them
> to... --- I think it was about $ 3.50 each (I bought 10)).
>
>         But I'm surprised that the printer doesn't actually work.
>
>         When I su to root and run lsusb, the printer doesn't appear to be on
> line (there is no epson printer on the usb device chain), although the
> "out of ink" light has gone out.
>
>         Has anyone else had that problem?

Which kernel are you running?  I have an Epson C82 myself, and when I
switched to kernel 2.6.13 and full fledge udev, I had to retweak my
printer settings.

Also, make sure your new printer cartridges have their internal chips
cleared.  Epson did a bad thing and microchipped their cartridges.

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://strredwolf.furrynet.com