[CALUG] coLinux and PC-BSD??

Kelly Price strredwolf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 19:08:51 CDT 2005

On 9/19/05, Pete Alexander <themanifestshadow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hence my question is... Can anyone think of a reason why coLinux would not
> allow me to install PC-BSD? At the moment I am not worried about drivers or
> even complete archetecture compatibility (Running an AMD Opteron 244
> processor) as this is still only a development release. I will probably use
> Daemon tools to mount the image in order to save coasters.

Let me see now...

coLinux is a port of the Linux kernel to Windows.  For BSD to run
similarly, you need a port of the BSD kernel.  You can't use coLinux
to run a BSD!

If you're planning on dual-booting (or multibooting), you'll need raw
access to the drives.  I doubt coLinux can do that, and VMWare so far
is the only one I know of that can do it.

Even if you did get all that, I doubt Linux has read/write capability
with the BSD file system. I'd double-check, but you may have to look
into compiling your own kernel.

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://strredwolf.furrynet.com