[CA LUG] Looking for a good burn of Fedora Core 4

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Wed Sep 14 09:22:45 CDT 2005

Hello Russ,

The most common cause of ISO's not working once downloaded and then
burned to the CD is the method of burning to the CD.  Please excuse me
if I'm covering something you've already known, but when you burned the
CD's from the ISOs did you just burn the ISO file onto the CD like you
would any data CD or did you use the option to create CD from a disc
image.  This will make a huge difference.  If you just burn the ISO file
to the disc then when you put the disk back into your machine after a
successful burn, you will only see one large file (the ISO file you
downloaded then copied to the CD).  If you used the create CD from a
disc image, then when you put the CD back in your computer and look at
the contents you will see many files on the CD and most likely a
directory structure as well.  This CD is the one that should allow you
to boot and install the OS.  The single file CD is now just a backup of
your ISO file, and not useful unless you need to use the create CD from
ISO file again ;-).

Cheers,
David

--