[CALUG] SuSE and Ubuntu dual boot

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:36:55 CDT 2005

Russell,
I can understand why you would be confused. Yes, most of my work I do
without the use of MS Windows. But there are certain programs, I use which
does not exist on Linux yet.

VMware is not owned by Microsoft yet. VMware was bought over by EMC Corp.
MS's product which is vaguely similar to VMware is Virtual PC. I have used
it, trust me, it is no where close to the capabilities as VMware.

I am an Unix Admin. All the work I do is over ssh or sftp. I use gaim for my
IM, Linux VPN client from Nortel (apani) to login to my office. I use Lotus
Notes over WINE. OpenOffice for document editing. When I login to office or
at office, I am forced to use IE for accessing my local intranet website. I
tried IE on WINE, but the java plugins and macromedia plugins crash at the
as guest. Lotus Notes Sametime which is my office standard IM, does not work
well with Linux, so I have to run that under VMware. All Chat conversations
I have, I have to save it to Disk. Enter Samba Mount. I save my chat
conversations (ascii text) on to my Samba mounts. If I need to save a web
document, I print it to a PDF (PDF-Creator) and then save it to my samba
mount.

Yes, even though I cant stand using MS Windows, I have to use it. I do
photo-editing, flash web-page designs, DVD authoring, DVD burning. I tried
to use Gimp for a long time. Yes it is awesome for small touch-ups, but not
as advanced as Adobe Photoshop. Yes I have tried running Adobe Photoshop on
WINE, it works, but it is very unstable. Adobe GO-Live and Adobe
After-Effects, wont even install under WINE, so I have to use Windows, since
I spent all that money buying these products.

Yes there are 1000's of products for Linux out there under Open Source
(hence my email ID), but there is still something missing. I have been a
Linux fanatic since 1994-1995, yet I have to say, there is still couple of
things missing for a Linux desktop. If the products I use or something
similar to them are available on Linux, I would purge my Windows OS
completely off my PC, but I cant, I have to use them, even if it is under
VMware.

For the Company I work for, I support over 2800 SUN servers in a team of 14
& 600 Linux servers in a team of 3. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux and
Open Source.

So, there you have it, my reason for hating Windows and not being able to
live entirely without it.

-GGR

---
Rajiv G Gunja