[CALUG] Computer Science

Rajiv Vyas rajiv1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 16:58:36 CST 2005

On 11/8/05, Dave Dodge <dododge at dododge.net> wrote:

> I would expect CS graduate work to include a lot of math and theory.
> If he doesn't have the background experience in algorithms,
> complexity, discrete math, and so on then he might have a lot of
> catching up to do. Granted, I'm thinking in terms of a heavy tech
> program like UMCP, and my experience is 10 years out of date. He'll
> obviously need to find out what the school expects in terms of prior
> experience and workload.

I would agree. A friend of mine did CS at Carnegie Mellon (long distance)
and he was an engineer by training. He said the course was impossible, or
nearly impossible.

Are you sure he's not really thinking of an MIS degree? If
> accounting, finance, and the business side of software are his
> interest, then MIS might be a better fit.

What he eventually wants to combine (or learn) software programming to add
to his finance and quantitative skills. My interpretation is that he is
looking for some programming skills -- Python, C++ or whatever -- to
manipulate and extract finance data.

Rajiv

-Dave Dodge