[CALUG] setting up mail.

Hugh Brown brownclan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:05:48 CST 2005

On 12/5/05, Grindell, Joan M. <GrindellJ at sec.gov> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
>         We are setting up a server that will be sending mail.  We will not
> running the sendmail service.  How do I setup the server to be able to
> send
> mail to another server.
>
> Thanks,
> Joan

The answer is, "it depends"

If you are just having it send out messages, then you can use a program that
knows how to speak smtp that can connect to the appropriate host for
delivery.

If you are wanting to be able to have local users use the server to send
messages, but you don't want it to receive messages then postfix is an easy
solution.

On recent redhat boxes, the default is to have a sendmail daemon that won't
listen to the outside and that will only send mail.

You can also have a box forward any mail it receives to a mail hub for
processing.

So, it all depends on the nature of what you are doing.

Hugh