[CALUG] Linux-compatible MP3 player?

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 11:09:06 CST 2005

a lot of linux compatible mp3 players are accessed via the usb_storage
module and fat filesystem. you just have to make sure your kernel is
built with that support. mounting is a little harder to describe in an
email, particularly without knowing all the details of your system.
there are plenty of howtos out there that cover all the variables
though.

my wife and i each have the frontier labs NEXia. it uses CF cards, so
i can decide how much storage i have, and i mount the cards directly
with a usb2 CF card reader, so the player itself doesnt have to
support linux (although it does). it runs on 2AA batteries, which i
recharge. it has the capability to record FM, but not timed. it will
play mp3, wav, wmv, and its advertised to support ogg vorbis via an
upcoming firmware upgrade, but i havnt seen that yet. theres no DRM to
worry about either.

this is a very basic model, but frontier labs makes several models.
also check out the iriver lineup. my cousin has one of their 40G hard
drive models and it is very nice, and mounts under linux with no
problems. if i cared about having my entire music collection with me
at all times, i would get an iriver.
--Jason