[CALUG] Linux won't boot anymore.

Wendel Dean Renner WendelDRenner at comcast.net
Mon Sep 25 09:46:18 CDT 2006

I have hard drives in drawers.    Windows XP on one and RedHat Linux 7.2
on the other which
I have been using for four years now.
One day not too long ago the Linux drive would not boot with the message:
"Error 28:  Selected Item cannot fit into memory."

I figured maybe the drive was gone and so I bought a new one.   I ran
through the installiation
of Linux without error until it was all done and said to reboot.   It
failed with the same
error message.  Subsequent attempts to rerun the installer on the same
new drive
results in the installer crashing with a screen full of error messges.

Attempting to boot either the new or old drive with the Linux boot disk
results
in the error:

Kernel panic:   No init found.   Try passing init = option to kernel.

I then installed Windows XP on the new drive, formating the drive into a
C and D partition and
put Windows XP on the C partition.  It boots and runs fine.   I
attempted to install Linux (again)
on the D partition but ran into the problem of the only choice for
automatic partitioning was on
free space on the drive.  (the instruction manual said to make a D drive).
I could not get rid of the D partition within the installer.   I otherwise
had no idea what partitions I should make or how big to make them (/ and
/boot?).
Upon subsequent attempts to install Linux, the installer now crashes as
before.  Same with the Linux boot disk.

Anyone have any ideas or where I should go or know a consultant I can
consult?
I am wondering if it is possible to have a hardware problem with the
computer itself
that does not bother Windows XP.  I also tried the above harddrive by
passing the drawer
system but not have tried it yet on another computer.

Wendel Dean Renner,
Columbia, Maryland
WendelDRenner at comcast.net