[CALUG] /etc/hosts not used?

david l goodrich dlg at dorkzilla.org
Sun Mar 19 21:59:18 CST 2006

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Chris Edillon wrote:
>
>>   the getent command will do what you want, it's a program which
>> does various get* routine lookups:
>>
>> getent hosts foo.bar.com
>> getent passwd username
>> getent group groupname
>> etc.
>
> Awesome Chris.  That's exactly what we're all looking for.
>
> getent is provided by the glibc package on my system, so that indicates
> this ought to be a widespread command available on almost every system,
> which fits the bill for a portable shell script.

assuming you're porting your script only to linux.  it doesn't work on
netbsd, openbsd, or OS X.

dlg at fawkes:~$  uname -mrs
NetBSD 2.0.2 i386
dlg at fawkes:~$  getent
bash: getent: command not found
dlg at fawkes:~$

[dlg at neptune /home/dlg]$ uname -mrs
OpenBSD 3.8 sgi
[dlg at neptune /home/dlg]$ getent
ksh: getent: not found
[dlg at neptune /home/dlg]$

dlg at elektra:~$ uname -mrs
Darwin 8.5.0 Power Macintosh
dlg at elektra:~$ getent
-bash: getent: command not found
dlg at elektra:~$

i don't have access to a freeBSD machine, but it doesn't seem hopeful:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=getent
[snip]
Sorry, no data found for `getent'.
You may look for other FreeBSD Search Services.
[snip]

oh, scratch the "just linux" part.  solaris seems okay.

dlg at bigmac:~$ uname -mrs
SunOS 5.10 sun4u
dlg at bigmac:~$ getent hosts example.com
192.0.34.166    example.com
dlg at bigmac:~$

just as a heads-up.
  --david