[CALUG] [UM-LINUX] routers and Adelphia NOT! Verizon (fwd)

Kelly Price strredwolf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 19:19:42 CST 2006

On 3/14/06, Keith <pdragon at pdragon.net> wrote:
> Or, if you are able to easily get a hold of old, inexpensive (or even free)
> computers, you can setup an IPCop <http://www.ipcop.org/> box. I work at a
> computer support shop so I get people getting rid of old Pentium II and K6
> systems all the time. They're perfect for things like this, though. And if
> you plan on doing any kind of file-sharing (Bittorrent), you're going to be
> extremely disappointed with any of the regular commercial routers out there
> (Linksys, Netgear, DLink, etc). They simply cannot handle the amount of
> connection attempts that P2P networks require over extended periods of time.
> They'll just completely freeze and drop all connections and you have to
> power-cycle them to restore your connection.

I haven't had any problems with the Linux running WRT-54G v3 series,
but the latest-54G's use a different OS now unless you use the GL
version.

For more control, though, a K6-2 box with two ethernet cards and a
decent distro works.  I did it with Slackware before I bought my
Linksys box, even with wireless (HostAP driver).

> If you want wireless, you will need to purchase an access point, but it's
> very easily configured.

That reminds me.  Anyone know if there's a Wifi-G card set that can be
configured for Master mode?  I know most Prism-II's for -B can use the
HostAP driver, which is what I used for the K6-2 firewall.

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://strredwolf.furrynet.com