[CALUG] What would YOU do?

Jason C. Miller jason.c.miller at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 07:23:20 CST 2006

I would like to get some advice from all the smart folks out there.

I was tasked to create a non-trivial application in an unbelievably
unreasonable amount of time.  So, I basically just made a nice front-end
with a bunch of buttons (using Glade) and simply made system() calls to
external bash scripts for each button.  Not my favorite way of doing
business, but, gotta do what ya gotta do.

Anyhoo, I will be making incremental releases of this software and will be
filling in the gaps as I go along.  One problem is that it is going to
be a while before I have the time to implement all of the button functions
in C/C++.

My question to everyone is this...
For the sake of trying to keep code proprietary in the interim , does
anybody have any ideas as to how one could maintain the scripts in
a way that would make it difficult for someone else to understand
the logic that executes within them?

As an example, I considered writing the scripts in PERL
and using perlcc to compile the scripts into system binaries.  This would
allow me to maintain the scripts for development but deploy them as
binaries for delivery. However, in the past, I haven't been very pleased
with the perl compiler and would be happy to avoid it.

I don't have a very extensive history in subversive development practices,
so I was hoping that someone out there might have some ideas.  :)

                                      -jason