[CALUG] Install From Running Old Version?

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Tue Mar 7 22:03:02 CST 2006

You didn't listen to his question. The note seems to imply that the
install program is already running. And while a PXE boot might work,
it's unnlikely that it will on a BIOS that can't boot from a CD or DVD.

Anyway, the note that Jason pointed to is what you want to use *after*
you get the install program (anaconda) running.

I have heard one person mention how he simply extracts the initrd image
from the first ISO, mounts that, chroots to it, and runs "/linuxrc",
which is pretty much what happens when any linux is booted. You may need
some additional support, such as mounting your own /proc onto
/whereever/proc before you chroot to /wherever. During the installation
you use the "askmethod" argument and don't format the partition you are
installing into, since it also contains the ISOs you will be installing
from.

If you have a floppy disk (yuk!) or a USB drive that simulates one, you
can boot from there. There are programs that will boot from a CD after
they are running.

Good Luck! Altho perhaps it's time to get a new computer! Or explore the
mysteries of LFS, Linux From Scratch!

JIM