[CALUG] Linux Friendly Laptops

Rob randspayne at comcast.net
Tue Mar 7 19:15:20 CST 2006

>> I am saving up to buy a laptop.  I want to use Linux as my primary
>> OS.

I would suggest trying as many distros as is practicable before
deciding on hardware.  I know it may seem counterintuitive.  Some
folks like to tinker, troubleshoot, constantly update, and so like
distros like gentoo.  Some like a more out-of-the-box distro like
Suse or Mandriva.  And then there are some one-CD distros like
Ubuntu.  And live-CD distros like Knoppix, Knoppix-STD, Overclockix.
Many people even put more server-oriented OS's on their laptops like
the BSD's.

The point I would make is that you might look for the distro you like
most, then check out the supported hardware page of their website
before looking for a laptop.  Let your OS be your guide.

Oh, and why not just keep that Windows partition on your OEM
hardware?  I am now looking for a new laptop, because all the
distance learning delivery vehicles for IT grad degrees seem to work
properly only in Windows using IE.  Go figure.  By the way, I would
be happy to receive some feedback from the group on how wrong I am
about that last bit.  I really would prefer to use my PowerBook for
school instead of investing in more hardware.

Cheers,
Rob