[CALUG] SPAM-LOW: Re: SPAM-LOW: Re: Linux Friendly Laptops

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Fri Mar 3 12:45:07 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 12:42 -0500, Gardner Pomper wrote:
> To sum up, if you want to dive into driver configuration and Myth TV and
> linux games, stay with a native linux install. Otherwise, put Windows XP on
> your laptop, install VMware and have as many different linux distros booted
> as you want to.I am using it as the head node on my development cluster at
> home.

Using Windows is *not* cool. What is the point of running a Free system
on top of a proprietary system?

Proprietary software is a scourge. Responding to someone who asked for
GNU/Linux friendly hardware with "use Windows and run it in VMWare" is
not answering the question at all.

The only thing you gain from using Windows and a GNU/Linux image in
VMWare is a bunch of Windows AND GNU/Linux headaches. The problems that
GNU/Linux has are far easier to deal with (setup is difficult, but you
are set after that... [I haven't reinstalled Debian since potato, and
the machine it is running on has had the hardware replaced twice]).
--
http://unknownlamer.org
AIM:unknownlamer IRC:unknown_lamer at fnode#tpu Jabber:clinton at hcoop.net