[CALUG] Podcast *player* plug-in for Firefox 1.5?

Browne at t-online.de Browne at t-online.de
Mon Feb 20 09:59:01 CST 2006

Thanks to all three, Rajiv, Bob and Alan for 3 very useful and complementary
answers, all of which I'll reply to here, one after the other.

Rajiv,
    Glad you like the bashpodder.  I think you can do what you want
(download
only some of the available broadcasts) like so: When you click "add", and
"Download Cast List", you'll get a list of the available broadcasts.  If
you've
already downloaded a given program, the "logged" box will appear to be
checked.  I don't know if it's a design feature, or a happy accident, but in
any case, if you click "logged" yourself, the program thinks you have it
already and will not fetch it.  A related curiosity is, if I do it this
way, I
get the broadcasts - say, for
http://www.the-scientist.com/podcasts/theweek/subscribe/index.xml
in .m4a format, which I can't play with any tool I have.  But if I click on
the "play" link (of the same podcast) as described below, it plays just
fine in either mplayer or RealPlayer.

Bob,
    Thanks for the good explanation of what's going on here.  Seems like
a screwy way to implement this on a web-page, but I'll also leave the
pontificating for the experts.  At least I can always get what I need quick-
and-dirty via your method.  Thanks again.

Alan,
    Thanks for this, it's what I ended up doing.  I'm not exactly sure
*what*
this MediaPlayerConnectivity thing is for, but it installs itself
properly (more
than I could do) and it lets me select either mplayer or RealPlayer (and
various
other configurations.)  There is apparently no end of variations in web
design.

Thanks again to all - Ed

p.s. Just to close the loop on one of my earlier questions, I got the
Samsung
Yepp YP-T7Z MP3 player, which is (as CALUG told me) idiot-proof
on linux, just plug it in and drag-and-drop away.  It's a really nice
device,
even the simple 1-button (joystick-type) control is surprisingly easy to
use
with a little practice.  You can see I'm playing the heck out of the
thing with
all sorts of podcasts.