[CALUG] Upgrading from RH 7.3

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 01:03:04 CST 2006

Dave,
Nice way to partition your system. Dont get me wrong, looks more like SUN
Solaris partitioning. :)
If you do not like to repartitioning, YES, you can still have dual boot and
install FC4 on these partitions.

If I had my way (of course this is your computer, not mine, so have very
less say in it), I would remove all these partitions, (after backing up the
files needed most), then have these partition sizes
/boot  -> 50 MB
/      -> 8 GB
/var   -> 2 GB
swap   -> 700 GB ( or 1 x RAM )
/home  -> 5 GB
/apps  -> rest of the space
This way, even if you switch Linux distributions, you will have 1 partition,
which will always be constant (/apps) so you can keep formating the other
partitions.
Here is how my home PC is partitioned.

gunjas at agni10:~$ df -h | grep ^/ | sort
/dev/hda1             141M   35M  106M  25% /boot
/dev/hda5             9.8G  2.5G  7.4G  26% /
/dev/hda6              18G   17G  528M  98% /disks/D
/dev/hda8             1.2G  476M  750M  39% /home
/dev/hda9             7.5G  191M  7.3G   3% /software
/dev/hdb1              28G  8.1G   20G  29% /download
/dev/hdb2              12G   33M   12G   1% /backup
/dev/hdb3              36G   16G   21G  43% /vmware

Good luck

-GGR

---
Rajiv G Gunja