[CALUG] Strange log file permissions

Bryan Breen Bryan.C.Breen.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 8 15:02:34 CST 2006

If I'm not mistaken, a file that has a number for the user and/or group
entry in it's file listing means that it belongs to a user/group ID that
does not have a corresponding entry in the /etc/passwd and /etc/groups
file (as appropriate). Perhaps the entries were removed after the file
was created, or when the file was created an incorrect value was given
for those entries. Such things can quite possible just come about as a
result of a messed up install or upgrade attempt.

But that doesn't matter, they just want control of that file back, right?

You say you can not change the permissions on the file as root. Have you
tried changing the owner/group to root/root first? After that, you may
then be able to effect the permissions.

- Bryan

--

Bryan C. Breen
MODIS Instrument Operations Team

East Campus, Building 32, Office S234
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt MD  20771

301-614-5131 (o)
443-668-7319 (c)
Bryan.C.Breen.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov (E-mail)
http://www.mcst.ssai.biz/IOT/ (MODIS IOT Web Page)