[CALUG] Network discovery

Jason C. Miller jason.c.miller at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:02:27 CST 2006

Hey again folks.  I'm looking to develop a method for some of our systems at
work to do autonomous network discovery and IP assignment but without the
use of a bootp/rarp server.

Here's the scenario....
1. Boot machine
2. Machine asks if you'd like to manually assign IP or have it find out what
network its neighbors are using and available addresses for that network

Does anybody know of any nifty tools that might aid in this endevor?  I'm in
the process of jury-rigging something together but it's hardly robust.
There's only so far that one can go with tcpdump/nmap/ping.  :)

-jason