[CALUG] Newbie questions

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 14:27:12 CDT 2005

Hey guys, my thoughts:

I dont understand Windows very well, so I tend not to trust it, so here is
what I do.

a. Install Windows 98 (since it does not have a boot loader menu)
b. Install Windows 2003 Server Edition, as this has a boot loader
c. Install RH-9 with LiLO or Grub.

Since in your case, all 2 OSes have already installed, I would go about
doing this, if the "O'Reilly" hack does not work.
I would login to RH9 and check which Disks have which OS on it. If W2003 can
see W'98 then fine, all you have to do is to point to W2003 from your LiLO
or Grub and you will be fine. Usually, if you point Grub or LiLO to the main
disk on which W2003 is installed, it should automatically boot. Lets say
Disk 1 on your PC has the W2003, then the menu should point to /dev/hda.

As per your AOL question, here is a good tutorial to connect to them.
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html

On distributions like Linspire and Xandros, which are more tuned to the
desktop user/desktop replacement, there is already built in scripts to
connect to your popular ISP.

Have fun!!

-GGR
Rajiv G Gunja