[CA LUG] Dual booting

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Fri Sep 16 12:23:59 CDT 2005

Yes. You need NTFS for that. But if you want to transfer files between
Windoze and Linux, you will probably want a FAT32 partition as well.

The easiest way to do dual boot systems is to go buy Partition Magic,
which also contains Boot Magic. You can use Windoze to dual boot, but
you have to import the Linux boot block into Windoze, and edit the
boot.ini file. I don't like doing this.

You can also use Linux to boot Windoze via either LILO or GRUB. The
problem here is that unless/until you become a LILO/GRUB expert, you
risk being unable to boot anything.

I use PM, which owns the MBR, and install the LILO/GRUB boot block in
the target partitions. Rather foolproof.

Ultimately, what you want is something like: P1=FAT32, P2=NTFS, P3=EXT,
P4=UNUSED, L5=SWAP, L6=Linux

You can use one of the following methods:

[1] Install Windoze however it likes, perhaps even eating the whole
disk. Install PM and use it to shrink and move it, creating space for
the P1 and P3 partitions. Actually, P1 and P2 will be reversed and out
of sequence if you do it this way, but that's OK. Now create the FAT32
partition, either via Windoze itself or PM. Format and load Boot Magic.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that you edit the "visible partitions" and check
that the FAT32 partition is available to Windoze, or you can't boot!

Now load Linux into the rest of the disk. You will have to go back into
Windows and make an entry in Boot Magic for Windows too.

[2] Use Linux to partition the disks the way you like, but don't load
Linux just yet. Make the P2=NTFS partition active. Hopefully, Windoze
will choose to load itself there. If you do this, you will be able to
collapse a few of the steps listed above, and your partitions will be in
order, and you will avoid the shrink/move step.

[3] A third way to do it is to use a small "rescue linux" partition to
boot and/or fix any problems you might have. The layout is thus:

P1=Linux, P2=FAT32, P3=NTFS, P4=EXT, L5=SWAP, L6=L7=L8=L9=LINUX.

You can load and play with many linux systems this way.

The steps here are: partition via Linux, load Windoze into P3, load
Rescue Linux into P1, make P1 active, add a Windoze entry to the rescue
LILO/GRUB. Now install your other Linuxi, writing the "boot sector" into
their own partition, and make an entry in the Rescue Linux LILO/GRUB.

HAVE FUN!

JIM