[CALUG] SuSE and Ubuntu dual boot

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 10:20:23 CDT 2005

See, I dont beleive in sharing windows and linux partitions. If at all I
need to write, I have captive-ntfs installed, so I can mount the NTFS
partition with RW access. With Xandros as my desktop, I dont need to mount
the NTFS partitions, by default, they are mounted when the OS is installed
and made available to root. With some editing skills, we can get the normal
user to mount and use them too (vi on /etc/fstab).

The main reason I dont like sharing is that, a trojan, which is written for
a dual boot desktop, will see its way into linux from the shared fat32
partition.

As long as we keep windows and windows programs far from linux, we will be
safe.

For me, windows is not worth running on my computer, so it runs under VMware
only. So from VMware, I mount my local linux directories via samba.

Ofcourse, not many people can be without windows, neither can I. Since there
are certain programs which works only on windows.

-GGR

---
Rajiv G Gunja
System Analyst / Engg