[CALUG] repartitioning on the fly

David Salinas rdsalinas at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 03:19:38 CST 2005

LOL!! James! Easy there!

One of the processes of information gathering is ASKING questions. I
being relatively new to Linux (2001-02) need to make sure exactly what
version we were talking about. I'm NOT one of the original GURUs of
1991. In fact the first time I heard about Linux was back in 1996. And
I didn't even use it. Just saw it loaded on one of my friends PCs
(Slackware).

The first version of Advanced Server I used was 2.1. And it was
referred to as AS 2.1. The Kernel version was very similar to what was
in Red Hat 7.2. At that time the OS path was Red Hat 7.1, 7.2, 7.3.
Then we started seeing Red Hat 8 and then Red Hat 9. AS 3.0 starting
show up in the market. And now we see AS 4.x.

Of course there's the WS, ES descriptors as well. Not just AS.

So, in the past few years. I've never heard of any of the WS, ES, or AS
version referred to as Red Hat x.x. Usually I hear it as RHEL3u5 or
RHEL4u1. Or AS, ES, or WS something.

When I saw the first post I thought she might mean AS 4.1. But I had to
make sure. That's why I through my post into the hat. I thought, lets
vet my assumption.

Before I posted, I immediately I did a check on google on "Red Hat 4.1"
and I had found this: http://www.linux-kheops.com/doc/redhat41/

And that was the premise of my comment. I had to make sure what version
she was taking about. It's called dialog! Lets find out.

I think the problem with your post is that you came along AFTER the
fact. It's easy to say, "you should have know" after the thread had
been going on a while. You came off as pompous ass!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know it all.  Linux is only
four years new to me. I'm not a novice. But at least I gave you an
explanation of why there was some confusion at first.

Back when Red Hat 9 was out. I liked that we could distinguish between
the Pro version and the WS, ES and AS versions. It made it easier to
distinguish rather than just calling them all Red Hat <3.0 or 9.0>.
That would have been too confusing.

As I said before... I'm NOT one of the original GURUs of 1991 (or the
even the late nineties). So the statement "should have know" is
relative to the context of the situation.

David -