[CALUG] Best programming app

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Tue Nov 22 03:15:04 CST 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:43:17PM -0500, Jim Sansing wrote:
> Bryan Breen wrote:
> >Dave Dodge wrote:
> >>There are plenty of career programmers who work in vi, or one of
> >>its supercharged variants such as vim.
> >
> >ROFLMAO! "supercharged"... I do all my web page development and
> >programming in vim, and that is the last adjective I would have ever
> >though of to describe it.

Try using traditional "vi" for a while -- no syntax coloring, only one
file can be open at a time, etc -- and "supercharged" may start to
sound like an understatement :-)

The enhancements are a double-edged sword, though.  For example I've
done "vi foo.html" and had it actually render the HTML instead of
letting me edit the source tags (I think Slackware's configuration of
"elvis" did this, and bit several friends as well).  Sometimes you
just want "vi" to be "vi".

> And it seems like I learn a new feature each month.

emacs is also good for this.  I've been using it for just about all of
my text editing for the past 15 years, and I still regularly discover
"new" capabilities.

                                                  -Dave Dodge