[CALUG] SSH question

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Thu Nov 17 13:43:35 CST 2005

Well, first, you don't stand a chance unless the filesystem is
unmounted. Second, the partitions that you copy between must be
identical. Don't forget that the first primary partition starts one
sector later than the other primaries to make room for the MBR.

Now you *could* copy them to a file or tape for restore later, but then
you'd have to make sure that you resore them to the same place or
identically sized partition. You can use a larger one, but you would
waste space upon restore.

The situation tends to be worse among drives of different geometry.
Remember that file systems are laid out in cylinder groups.

I would pose the opposite question: why do you want to do this? Any
speedup you might get are likely to be offset by the pitfalls you are
likely to encounter.

I have seen a dd fail when by all the above criteria it should have
succeeded.

It might be useful in certain cases, such as cloning disks or moving
data from one drive to another, but I would be very careful.

If you do this, run an fsck and make sure the number of files and size
EXACTLY match. If your really paranoid, run md5sum on them.

JIM