[CALUG] repartitioning on the fly

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 20:44:05 CST 2005

Having worked at data centers and mission critical apps, I would say what
Jim is suggesting is best/safe approach or what I would go with. Here you
will not lose data and you are insured. If the new disk does not work, you
can always boot back to the original disk. How I have all my production
servers setup is similar to that: ->

Linux servers:
Boot disk mirrored (hardware, internal)
Altboot disk (internal)
Spare disk (internal)

SUN / HP / AIX
Boot disk mirrored (primary boot disk - internal, secondary or mirror on
SAN)
Alt-boot disk ( internal)
Spare disk (internal)

-GGR